Compiling CNS: gfortran: error: test_f.o: No such file or directory

Hi, I know this is specific to CNS but I was hoping someone might be able to help here. I’m unable to compile CNS. My cns_solve_env is correct. Running “sudo make install compiler=gfortran” from my cns_solve_1.3 directory, I get the following error.

C compiler passes test
compiling: gfortran -fdefault-integer-8 -w -fallow-argument-mismatch -O3 -funroll-loops -ffast-math -static
gfortran: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fallow-argument-mismatch’; did you mean ‘-Wno-argument-mismatch’? linking: gfortran -w -static-libgfortran
gfortran: error: test_f.o: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: 1: ./test_f: not found
***** ERROR: problem with Fortran compiler ***** make[3]: *** [Makefile:18: fortran-test] Error 2
make[2]: *** [Makefile:205: compiler-test] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:68: compiler-test] Error 2
compiler problems - stopping installation
please check compilers before retrying installation
make: *** [Makefile:38: install] Error 1

I can’t see anything pointing to test_f so I don’t know where to look. My linux archtecture (intel-x86_64bit-linux) is supported.

This problem seemed related to this thread since I was running bash. I tried to chsh into csh, but no luck. I tried copying that script and sourcing it under bash, but I get the same error. Is there something I need to source when moving to csh?

Try following the installation instructions from the following site:

https://www.bonvinlab.org/haddock3/CNS.html

It is for haddock3, but can be followed as well for haddock2.4/5 (simply change the location of the cns1.3 files provided with haddock when you have to copy those to your CNS source directory).

Thank you. As it turns out, we had an older version of gfortran that came with Ubuntu 20.04 and had to reinstall (not update/upgrade) before it would work.

1 Like